Among the many risk factors for osteoarthritis (OA), obesity and metabolic syndrome (MetS) are increasing in importance with societal escalation in sedentary lifestyles and consumption of unhealthy Western diets
- Urban H.
- Little C.B.
The role of fat and inflammation in the pathogenesis and management of osteoarthritis.
Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018; 57: iv10-iv21
2. There is a bidirectional relationship between obesity/MetS and OA
- Batushansky A.
- Zhu S.
- Komaravolu R.K.
- South S.
- Mehta-D'souza P.
- Griffin T.M.
Fundamentals of OA. An initiative of Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. Obesity and metabolic factors in OA.
Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022; 30: 501-515
3, while the increased OA risk associated with obesity/MetS can also be transmitted intergenerationally through epigenetic modification
- Liu S.Y.
- Zhu W.T.
- Chen B.W.
- Chen Y.H.
- Ni G.X.
Bidirectional association between metabolic syndrome and osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2020; 12: 38
- Harasymowicz N.S.
- Choi Y.R.
- Wu C.L.
- Iannucci L.
- Tang R.
- Guilak F.
Intergenerational transmission of diet-induced obesity, metabolic imbalance, and osteoarthritis in mice.
Arthritis Rheumatol. 2020; 72: 632-644
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of fat and inflammation in the pathogenesis and management of osteoarthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018; 57: iv10-iv21
- Fundamentals of OA. An initiative of Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. Obesity and metabolic factors in OA.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022; 30: 501-515
- Bidirectional association between metabolic syndrome and osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2020; 12: 38
- Intergenerational transmission of diet-induced obesity, metabolic imbalance, and osteoarthritis in mice.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2020; 72: 632-644
- Is osteoarthritis one disease or a collection of many?.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018; 57: iv34-iv42
- Knee osteoarthritis phenotypes and their relevance for outcomes: a systematic review.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017; 25: 1926-1941
- Phenotypes of osteoarthritis: current state and future implications.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2019; 37: 64-72
- Osteoarthritis and inflammation: a serious disease with overlapping phenotypic patterns.Postgrad Med. 2020; 132: 377-384
- Obesity, inflammation, and immune system in osteoarthritis.Front Immunol. 2022; 13907750
- Structural phenotypes of knee osteoarthritis: potential clinical and research relevance.Skeletal Radiol. 2022;
- Phenotypes in osteoarthritis: why do we need them and where are we at?.Clin Geriatr Med. 2022; 38: 273-286
- The development of disease-modifying therapies for osteoarthritis (DMOADs): the evidence to date.Drug Des Devel Ther. 2021; 15: 2921-2945
- Adipose tissue is a critical regulator of osteoarthritis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021; 118
- The phenotypic approach to osteoarthritis: a look at metabolic syndrome-associated osteoarthritis.Joint Bone Spine. 2019; 86: 725-730
- Transgenic conversion of ω-6 to ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids via fat-1 reduces the severity of post-traumatic osteoarthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2020; 22: 83
- Serum and synovial fluid lipidomic profiles predict obesity-associated osteoarthritis, synovitis, and wound repair.Sci Rep. 2017; 744315
- A narrative review of anti-obesity medications for obese patients with osteoarthritis.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2022; 23: 1381-1395
- L-1β inhibition combined with cholesterol-lowering therapies decreases synovial lining thickness and spontaneous cartilage degeneration in a humanized dyslipidemia mouse mode.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022 Nov 25; S1063-4584 (Online ahead of print): 00932-00933https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2022.09.014
- Characterization of metabolically healthy obese people and metabolically unhealthy normal-weight people in a general population cohort of the ABCD Study.J Diabetes Res. 2017; 20179294038
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis: from mouse models to clinical trials.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013; 9: 485-497
- OA foundations — experimental models of osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022; 30: 357-380
- Differential patterns of pathology in and interaction between joint tissues in long-term osteoarthritis with different initiating causes: phenotype matters.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2020; 28: 953-965
- Effects of interleukin-1β inhibition on incident hip and knee replacement: exploratory analyses from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 173: 509-515
Published online: December 02, 2022
© 2022 Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.