To review articles reporting on the development of soluble biomarkers in osteoarthritis (OA) over the past year.
Two literature searches were conducted using the PubMed database for articles published between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022. Two searches were done, one on soluble biomarkers and another on circulating non-coding RNAs in OA. Additional articles were hand-picked to highlight emerging biomarker trends in OA.
Of 348 publications retrieved, we included 20 articles with 3 that were hand-picked for the narrative synthesis. We review recent data on soluble biomarkers and circulating non-coding microRNAs in OA using the BIPED classification system. We highlight studies using proteomics to show that cartilage acidic protein 1 (CRTAC1) is a promising biomarker, helping diagnose and estimate severity in hand, hip, and knee OA. Subtle changes in the structure of glycosaminoglycans from the extracellular cartilage matrix were shown to discriminate OA from non-OA cartilage. C-reactive protein metabolite (CRPM) and collagen metabolites may help discriminate subsets of OA patients as well as disease progression. Additionally, physical activity may impact determination of biomarkers. We also report on circulating microRNAs, lncRNAs, and circRNAs in OA and their predictive accuracy in diagnosis and prognosis.
Biomarkers for routine use are still an unmet need in the OA clinical scenario. Emerging data and novel classes of biomarkers (i.e., non-coding RNAs) show promise. Although still requiring validation in multiple independent cohorts, the past year brought advances towards a ready-to-use, reproducible, cost-effective biomarker, namely CRTAC1, to better manage the OA patient.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- EULAR recommendations for the use of imaging in the clinical management of peripheral joint osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2017 Sep; 76 (Epub 2017 Apr 7. PMID: 28389554): 1484-1494https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-210815
- Classification of osteoarthritis biomarkers: a proposed approach.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006; 14 (PMID: 16733093): 723-727https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2006.04.001
- Osteoarthritis endotype discovery via clustering of biochemical marker data.Ann Rheum Dis. 2022 May; 81 (Epub 2022 Mar 4. PMID: 35246457): 666-675https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2021-221763
- Soluble biological markers in osteoarthritis.Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2021; 13: 1-22https://doi.org/10.1177/1759720X211040300
- The CRTAC1 protein in plasma is associated with osteoarthritis and predicts progression to joint replacement: a large-scale proteomics scan in Iceland.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021 Nov; 73 (Epub 2021 Sep 28): 2025-2034https://doi.org/10.1002/art.41793
- Increase in molar mass distinguishes chondroitin sulfate from osteoarthritis and normal extracellular cartilage matrix.Connect Tissue Res. 2021 Sep; 62 (Epub 2020 Oct 7. PMID: 33028117): 597-604https://doi.org/10.1080/03008207.2020.1825700
- Decreased sulfate content and zeta potential distinguish glycosaminoglycans of the extracellular matrix of osteoarthritis cartilage.Front Med (Lausanne). 2021 Apr 29; 8 (eCollection 2021. PMID: 33996844): 612370https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2021.612370
- gagCEST imaging at 3 T MRI in patients with articular cartilage lesions of the knee and intraoperative validation.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2021 Aug; 29 (Epub 2021 Apr 30. PMID: 33933584): 1163-1172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.04.012
- The non-coding RNA interactome in joint health and disease.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2021 Nov; 17 (Epub 2021 Sep 29. PMID: 34588660): 692-705https://doi.org/10.1038/s41584-021-00687-y
- Plasma and synovial fluid microRNAs as potential biomarkers of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12 (Epub 2010 May 14. PMID: 20470394): R86https://doi.org/10.1186/ar3013
- A bioinformatics approach to microRNA-sequencing analysis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage Open. 2021; 3: 100131
- Application of biomarkers in the development of drugs intended for the treatment of osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 May; 19 (Epub 2011 Mar 23): 515-542https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2010.08.019
- Chondrocyte secreted CRTAC1: a glycosylated extracellular matrix molecule of human articular cartilage.Matrix Biol. 2007 Jan; 26 (Epub 2006 Sep 16. PMID: 17074475): 30-41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matbio.2006.09.006
- OP0111 Plasma proteomics identifies CRTAC1 as biomarker for osteoarthritis severity and progression.Ann Rheum Dis. 2021; 80: 61-62
- A low cartilage formation and repair endotype predicts radiographic progression of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.J Orthop Traumatol. 2021 Mar 9; 22 (PMID: 3368757): 10https://doi.org/10.1186/s10195-021-00572-0
- Fatty acids and osteoarthritis: the MOST study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2021 Jul; 29 (Epub 2021 Mar 20. PMID: 33757857.16): 973-978https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.03.006
- Association of serum low-density lipoprotein, high-density lipoprotein, and total cholesterol with development of knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2022 Feb; 74 (Epub 2022 Jan 8): 274-280https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.24455
- A potential diagnostic serum immunological marker panel to differentiate between primary and secondary knee osteoarthritis.PLoS One. 2021 Sep 20; 16 (eCollection 2021. PMID: 34543351): e0257507https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0257507
- A matrix metalloproteinase-generated neoepitope of CRP can identify knee and multi-joint inflammation in osteoarthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2021 Aug 31; 23 (PMID: 34465395): 226https://doi.org/10.1186/s13075-021-02610-y
- Serum microRNAs in osteoporotic fracture and osteoarthritis: a genetic and functional study.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 19372
- Identification of transcription factors and construction of a novel miRNA regulatory network in primary osteoarthritis by integrated analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021; 22: 1008
- MiR-206 regulates the Th17/Treg ratio during osteoarthritis.Mol Med. 2021; 27: 64
- lncRNA FER1L4 is dysregulated in osteoarthritis and regulates IL-6 expression in human chondrocyte cells.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 13032
- The role of circRNA derived from RUNX2 in the serum of osteoarthritis and its clinical value.J Clin Lab Anal. 2021; 35: e23858
- Circ_0001103 alleviates IL-1beta-induced chondrocyte cell injuries by upregulating SIRT1 via targeting miR-375.Clin Immunol. 2021; 227: 108718
- Serum C-reactive protein metabolite (CRPM) is associated with incidence of contralateral knee osteoarthritis.Sci Rep. 2021 Mar 22; 11 (PMID: 33753821): 6583https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-86064-x
- Association between markers of synovial inflammation, matrix turnover and symptoms in knee osteoarthritis.Cells. 2021 Jul 20; 10 (PMCID: PMC8307303): 1826https://doi.org/10.3390/cells10071826
- A clinical model including protein biomarkers predicts radiographic knee osteoarthritis: a prospective study using data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2021 Aug; 29 (Epub 2021 Apr 30. PMID: 33933586): 1147-1154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.04.011
- Circulating MicroRNAs highly correlate to expression of cartilage genes potentially reflecting OA susceptibility-towards identification of applicable early OA biomarkers.Biomolecules. 2021; 11
- Circulating microRNAs differentiate fast-progressing from slow-progressing and non-progressing knee osteoarthritis in the Osteoarthritis Initiative cohort.Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2022; 14 (1759720X221082917)
- Circulating long non-coding RNA signature in knee osteoarthritis patients with postoperative pain one-year after total knee replacement.Scand J Pain. 2021; 21: 823-830
- Different changes in the biomarker C-terminal telopeptides of type II collagen (CTX-II) following intra-articular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid and oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a multi-center randomized controlled study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022 Jun; 30 (Epub 2022 Mar 22): 852-861https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2022.03.003
- Low levels of type II collagen formation (PRO-C2) are associated with response to sprifermin: a pre-defined, exploratory biomarker analysis from the FORWARD study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2022 Jan; 30 (Epub 2021 Nov 1): 92-99https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.10.008
- Evaluation of the therapeutic and the chemical effects of balneological treatment on clinical and laboratory parameters in knee osteoarthritis: a randomized, controlled, single-blinded trial.Int J Biometeorol. 2022 Jun; 66 (Epub 2022 Mar 26. PMID: 35347399): 1257-1265https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-022-02274-6
- A biomarker perspective on the acute effect of exercise with and without impact on joint tissue turnover: an exploratory randomized cross-over study.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2021 Oct; 121: 2799-2809https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-021-04751-z
- Does moderate intensity impact exercise and non-impact exercise induce acute changes in collagen biochemical markers related to osteoarthritis? – An exploratory randomized cross-over trial.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2021 Jul; 29: 986-994https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2021.02.569
Published online: September 27, 2022
Accepted: September 20, 2022
Received: July 27, 2022
© 2022 Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.