Synovitis (local inflammation) in OA
- Hussein M.R.
- Fathi N.A.
- El-Din A.M.E.
- Hassan H.I.
- Abdullah F.
- Al-Hakeem E.
- et al.
Innate immunity as a trigger of local inflammation in OA
Low-grade systemic inflammation in OA
- Yoshimura N.
- Muraki S.
- Oka H.
- Tanaka S.
- Kawaguchi H.
- Nakamura K.
- et al.
Aging, inflammation and OA
- Rasheed Z.
- Akhtar N.
- Haqqi T.M.
Post-menopausal OA and inflammation
A direct link between mechanics and inflammation: mechanoreceptor signaling
Conflict of interest
- Role of proinflammatory cytokines in the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011 Jan; 7: 33-42
- Osteoarthritis: a disease of the joint as an organ.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Jun; 64: 1697-1707
- Inflammation in osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011 Sep; 23: 471-478
- Osteoarthritis: an update with relevance for clinical practice.Lancet. 2011 Jun 18; 377: 2115-2126
- Clinical features of osteoarthritis.in: Firestein G.S. Budd R.C. Harris Jr., E.D. McInnes I.B. Ruddy S. Sergent J.S. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. Elsevier Inc, Philadelphia2008: 1547-1561
- Presence of pannus-like tissue on osteoarthritic cartilage and its histological character.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003 Feb; 11: 133-140
- Imaging of osteoarthritis: update from a radiological perspective.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011 Sep; 23: 484-491
- Presence of MRI-detected joint effusion and synovitis increases the risk of cartilage loss in knees without osteoarthritis at 30-month follow-up: the MOST study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Oct; 70: 1804-1809
- Synovitis: a potential predictive factor of structural progression of medial tibiofemoral knee osteoarthritis – results of a 1 year longitudinal arthroscopic study in 422 patients.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2005 May; 13: 361-367
- Severity and extent of osteoarthritis and low grade systemic inflammation as assessed by high sensitivity C reactive protein.Ann Rheum Dis. 2004 Feb; 63: 200-205
- Elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels are associated with local inflammatory findings in patients with osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007 May; 15: 516-523
- Synovial inflammation in patients undergoing arthroscopic meniscectomy: molecular characterization and relationship to symptoms.Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Feb; 63: 391-400
- The role of synovitis in pathophysiology and clinical symptoms of osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010 Nov; 6: 625-635
- Alterations of the CD4(+), CD8 (+) T cell subsets, interleukins-1beta, IL-10, IL-17, tumor necrosis factor-alpha and soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis: preliminary observations.Pathol Oncol Res. 2008 Sep; 14: 321-328
- Crucial role of macrophages in matrix metalloproteinase-mediated cartilage destruction during experimental osteoarthritis: involvement of matrix metalloproteinase 3.Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Jan; 56: 147-157
- Synovial lining macrophages mediate osteophyte formation during experimental osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2004 Aug; 12: 627-635
- Mechanisms and targets of angiogenesis and nerve growth in osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012 Jul; 8: 390-398
- Inflammation and angiogenesis in osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2003 Aug; 48: 2173-2177
- Dendritic cells of synovium in experimental model of osteoarthritis of rabbits.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2012; 30: 23-32
- Mast cells are the main interleukin 17-positive cells in anticitrullinated protein antibody-positive and -negative rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis synovium.Arthritis Res Ther. 2011; 13: R150
- Pattern recognition receptors: doubling up for the innate immune response.Cell. 2002 Dec 27; 111: 927-930
- The role of pattern-recognition receptors in innate immunity: update on Toll-like receptors.Nat Immunol. 2010 May; 11: 373-384
- The catabolic pathway mediated by Toll-like receptors in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes.Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Jul; 54: 2152-2163
- Innate immune system activation in osteoarthritis: is osteoarthritis a chronic wound?.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2008 Sep; 20: 565-572
- High mobility group box 1 potentiates the pro-inflammatory effects of interleukin-1β in osteoarthritic synoviocytes.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12: R165
- Active involvement of alarmins S100A8 and S100A9 in the regulation of synovial activation and joint destruction during mouse and human osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 May; 64: 1466-1476
- Plasma proteins present in osteoarthritic synovial fluid can stimulate cytokine production via Toll-like receptor 4.Arthritis Res Ther. 2012; 14: R7
- Synovial fluid from patients with early osteoarthritis modulates fibroblast-like synoviocyte responses to toll-like receptor 4 and toll-like receptor 2 ligands via soluble CD14.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Jul; 64: 2268-2277
- Local cytokine profiles in knee osteoarthritis: elevated synovial fluid interleukin-15 differentiates early from end-stage disease.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2009 Aug; 17: 1040-1048
- Identification of a central role for complement in osteoarthritis.Nat Med. 2011 Dec; 17: 1674-1679
- Crystals, inflammation, and osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011 Mar; 23: 170-173
- Detection of basic calcium phosphate crystals in osteoarthritis.Joint Bone Spine. 2011 Jul; 78: 358-363
- Gout-associated uric acid crystals activate the NALP3 inflammasome.Nature. 2006 Mar 9; 440: 237-241
- Uric acid is a danger signal of increasing risk for osteoarthritis through inflammasome activation.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011 Feb 1; 108: 2088-2093
- Stress-induced cartilage degradation does not depend on NLRP3 inflammasome in osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Aug 29; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1002/art.34678
- Inflammatory genomic and plasma biomarkers predict progression of symptomatic knee OA (SKOA).Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012 Apr 20; (Suppl 1:S34–S35)
- Identification of a panel of novel serum osteoarthritis biomarkers.J Proteome Res. 2011 Nov 4; 10: 5095-5101
- Increased interleukin-1β gene expression in peripheral blood leukocytes is associated with increased pain and predicts risk for progression of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Jul; 63: 1908-1917
- Association between weight or body mass index and hand osteoarthritis: a systematic review.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010 Apr; 69: 761-765
- Obesity and osteoarthritis: more complex than predicted!.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006 Nov 1; 65: 1403-1405
- Adipokines in arthritis: new kids on the block.Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2009; 5: 226-232
- What's new in our understanding of the role of adipokines in rheumatic diseases?.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011 Sep; 7: 528-536
- Crucial role of visfatin/pre-B cell colony-enhancing factor in matrix degradation and prostaglandin E2 synthesis in chondrocytes: possible influence on osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2008 May; 58: 1399-1409
- Increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome in individuals with osteoarthritis: an analysis of NHANES III data.Postgrad Med. 2009 Nov; 121: 9-20
- Knee osteoarthritis in obese women with cardiometabolic clustering.Arthritis Rheum. 2009 Oct 15; 61: 1328-1336
- Accumulation of metabolic risk factors such as overweight, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, and impaired glucose tolerance raises the risk of occurrence and progression of knee osteoarthritis: a 3-year follow-up of the ROAD study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage [Internet]. 2012 Jul 12; ([cited 2012 Jul 17])
- Association of atherosclerosis with presence and progression of osteoarthritis: the Rotterdam study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2012 May 6; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Cytokines in atherosclerosis: pathogenic and regulatory pathways.Physiol Rev. 2006; 86: 515-581
- Adipokines as novel biomarkers and regulators of the metabolic syndrome.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010 Nov; 1212: E1-E19
- Association between leptin, adiponectin and resistin and long-term progression of hand osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Jul; 70: 1282-1284
- Increased serum adiponectin levels in female patients with erosive compared with non-erosive osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009 Feb 1; 68: 295-296
- Serum adipokines in osteoarthritis; comparison with controls and relationship with local parameters of synovial inflammation and cartilage damage.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012 Aug; 20: 846-853
- The infrapatellar fat pad should be considered as an active osteoarthritic joint tissue: a narrative review.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010 Jul; 18: 876-882
- The infrapatellar fat pad in knee osteoarthritis: an important source of interleukin-6 and its soluble receptor.Arthritis Rheum. 2009 Nov; 60: 3374-3377
- Pharmacological inhibition of nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase/visfatin enzymatic activity identifies a new inflammatory pathway linked to NAD.PLoS ONE. 2008 May 21; 3: e2267
- Benefits of massive weight loss on symptoms, systemic inflammation and cartilage turnover in obese patients with knee osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Jan; 70: 139-144
- Osteoarthritis accelerates and exacerbates Alzheimer's disease pathology in mice.J Neuroinflammation. 2011; 8: 112
- Innate immunity and inflammation in ageing: a key for understanding age-related diseases.Immun Ageing. 2005 May 18; 2: 8
- Aging and osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011 Sep; 23: 492-496
- The senescence-associated secretory phenotype: the dark side of tumor suppression.Annu Rev Pathol. 2010; 5: 99-118
- Cellular senescence: a link between cancer and age-related degenerative disease?.Semin Cancer Biol. 2011 Dec; 21: 354-359
- Increased matrix metalloproteinase-13 production with aging by human articular chondrocytes in response to catabolic stimuli.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Sep; 60: 1118-1124
- Effects of aging on articular cartilage homeostasis.Bone. 2012 Aug; 51: 241-248
- Articular chondrocytes express the receptor for advanced glycation end products: potential role in osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Aug; 52: 2376-2385
- Advanced glycation end products induce the expression of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 by receptor for advanced glycation end product-mediated activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and nuclear factor-B in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes.Rheumatology. 2010 Dec 20; 50: 838-851
- An update review of cellular mechanisms conferring the indirect and direct effects of estrogen on articular cartilage.Climacteric. 2008 Feb; 11: 4-16
- Oestrogens inhibit interleukin 1beta-mediated nitric oxide synthase expression in articular chondrocytes through nuclear factor-kappa B impairment.Ann Rheum Dis. 2007 Mar; 66: 345-350
- Changes in proinflammatory cytokine activity after menopause.Endocr Rev. 2002 Feb; 23: 90-119
- Biomechanical factors in osteoarthritis.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2011 Dec; 25: 815-823
- Pathobiology of obesity and osteoarthritis: integrating biomechanics and inflammation.Pathobiol Aging Age Relat Dis [Internet]. 2012 May 9; 2 ([cited 2012 Jul 18])
- Mechanical injury and cytokines cause loss of cartilage integrity and upregulate proteins associated with catabolism, immunity, inflammation, and repair.Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009 Jul; 8: 1475-1489
- Induction of the chemokine IL-8/Kc by the articular cartilage: possible influence on osteoarthritis.Joint Bone Spine [Internet]. 2012 Feb 15; ([cited 2012 Jul 17])
- Prostaglandin E2 synthesis in cartilage explants under compression: mPGES-1 is a mechanosensitive gene.Arthritis Res Ther. 2006; 8: R135
- Regulation of subchondral bone osteoblast metabolism by cyclic compression.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Apr; 64: 1193-1203
- Signaling transduction: target in osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2004 Sep; 16: 616-622
- Tumour necrosis factor blockade for the treatment of erosive osteoarthritis of the interphalangeal finger joints: a double blind, randomised trial on structure modification.Ann Rheum Dis. 2012 Jun; 71 ([Epub 2011 Nov 29]): 891-898
- Intraarticular injection of anakinra in osteoarthritis of the knee: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Arthritis Rheum. 2009 Mar 15; 61: 344-352
- Targeting tumor necrosis factor alleviates signs and symptoms of inflammatory osteoarthritis of the knee.Arthritis Res Ther. 2012 Oct 4; 14: R206
User licenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy